D1FW: (1) Denver Whomps (8) Cincinnati, 419-50

D1FW: (1) Denver Whomps (8) Cincinnati, 419-50 Photo: Dave Wood.

FORT WAYNE, IN — After their thrilling last-jam comeback win over Bleeding Heartland in the tournament opener, 8 seed Cincinnati took a thorough pounding at the hands of tournament top seed and WFTDA #2 Denver. Denver’s defense dominated start to finish during a 369-point schooling, leaving Denver the victors 419-50.

The game sets up a Denver / London semifinal meeting on Saturday at 2pm Eastern.

Things went off the rails for Cincinnati almost instantly in this one as they lost their leadoff jammer Wheezy to the box while Denver’s Julie Adams dropped a 20-0. The rest of Denver’s jammer rotation — Sharpless, Stacie Wilhelm and Gator Dunn — then added shutout jams of their own, with Dunn putting an exclamation point on the sequence with a 29-0. That put Denver up 60-0 after just four jams and seven minutes.

Denver was up 64-0 before Cincinnati finally picked up some two lead jammer calls — but got shut out in the first and outscored on the second. Cincinnati’s first points hit the board with 18:36 left in the first half but Denver already cruising 86-4.

Top Jammers

Skater: Jams / Lead / Points


Stacie Wilhelm: 8 / 6 / 113
Gator Dunn: 7 / 6 / 103
Julie Adams: 6 / 5 / 72


Sadistic Sadie: 4 / 1 / 31
Wheezy: 8 / 1 / 5
K. Lethal: 10 / 1 / 4

Full stats courtesy of Rinxter.

Denver hit triple digits on the very next jam, and when Julie Adams followed up with her second 20-0 of the half, it was 120-4 with only 15 minutes elapsed in the game.

Cincinnati finally got an opportunity to manufacture some points when Amanda Sharpless picked up Denver’s first jammer penalty of the game; Cincy jammer Sadistic Sadie battered her way through Denver blue for 15-0, putting the score at 120-19.

But Cincinnati simply couldn’t get on the board without a power jam advantage. They only scored on one other frame in the half — the weak side of a a Julie Adams / Sadistic Sadie 9-7 — and at the break, Denver was leading by a massive margin of 197-26.

Denver did not take their foot off the gas at all in the second half, with a smothering defense only allowing 8 points in the first 15 minutes of the half while running the score up to 320-34. Cincinnati was able to pick up a few more points here and there on a combination of jammer penalties and Denver running jams long to clear a backed-up penalty box, but the game was a 300-point blowout with about ten minutes to play, and ended with Denver claiming a 419-50 victory.

Denver moves on to face London on Saturday at 2pm; Cincinnati will go to the consolation rounds at 6pm Saturday.